Last application date May 10, 2021 00:00
Department TW05 - Department of Information Technology
Contract Limited duration
Degree MSc in Engineering, preferably computer science, electrical engineering, engineering physics, environmental engineering, or areas relevant to the research topic.
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy type Research staff
The WAVES research group (www.waves.intec.ugent.be) of INTEC at Ghent University is offering a PhD studentship to contribute to our research in computational bioacoustics. The studentship is granted from a 4-year BOF-research project as part of our environmental acoustics research tradition.
The research project focusses on the study of acoustic scenes in green areas. These areas are often stressed from different types of human activity, resulting in degraded biodiversity and poor quality. On the other hand, green areas provide benefits to individuals and society and can be considered as supportive environments. As the study of the interactions between humans and nature is of key importance we want to study ecology of the human-nature interactions as observed from acoustic recordings, including animal (bird, ...) vocalisations. Due to the progress in signal processing and artificial intelligence, tasks in automated species determination and biodiversity assessment, detection of human and natural activity patterns and in the study of specific adaptation mechanisms will be targeted. Machine learning will be applied to build knowledge systems with learned knowledge based on different levels of supervision. Different datasets, reflecting the wide range of applications and different machine learning techniques will be used to extract the desired information and to demonstrate advances in this field.
• You will be supervised by Prof Paul Devos.
• You will be part of a vibrant and interdisciplinary research team, focusing on bioacoustics, environmental acoustics, soundscape research and machine learning.
• You will have access to the full facilities of our research group, including high performance computing/GPU clusters as well as the computing resources of the VSC (Flemish Supercomputing Center, vscentrum.be).
• You must have an MSc in Engineering, preferably computer science, electrical engineering, engineering physics, environmental engineering, or areas relevant to the research topic.
• You must have good programming skills (Python, MatLab, C++ on Windows and Linux platforms), training or experience in audio processing and machine learning is essential.
• You are an excellent communicator in speaking and scientific writing in English
• The PhD position is interdisciplinary and requires an understanding and/or interest in biology and ecology.
• You are creative, driven by scientific curiosity.
• You work in an efficient and organized way.
• The position start date can be negotiated but is at the latest 1 October 2021.
• You will be enrolled in the doctoral training program offered by the Doctoral School of Engineering.
• Ghent University encourages equal opportunities. We will consider applications based only on your potential as an early career researcher and your fit to the research program.